Sunday, June 10, 2012

Dog Portrait Begun

I'm finally getting started on the portrait quilt of my Ridgeback, Bree -- or rather re-started. I had previously selected the photograph, made the template pattern and enlarged copies. Now it was time to move on to the next step.

For Bree's face I've decided to use the technique I learned from Katie Pasquini-Masopust many moons ago. It is a turned-under machine appliqué technique. I think the last time I used it was on my "Angry Rabbit" quilt in the 1990's. It's always enlightening and revealing to break out a technique you've used in the past to see how it feels and looks this time around.

I've glued the paper template pattern on poster board and labeled the light, medium, and dark shapes.


I also traced the pattern onto some stabilizer that will function as foundation for the pieces. I'm using Sulky Iron-on Tear-Away stabilizer.


Adina | Gluten Free Travelette said...

I can't wait to see it! Hopefully you'll show some in progress shots!

Perhaps there's a Parsley quilt in the future, if we can ever get her to slow down.

Kim Marguerite said...

Adina, you've already take a bunch of shots of Parsley that have great potential!