Wednesday, March 24, 2010

In Search of Orange

I finished the top for my daughter's log cabin quilt and started putting together 15" squares of fabric to form the backing. I was using a wild assortment of novelty fabrics and multi-color fabrics (you know -- the ones that don't fit in any color family!).

I was almost finished when I thought I better check with my daughter to see if this would suit her style. So I email her and asked if she would mind a quilt back that included fabric with pictures of sushi eating cats!

I was not surprised by her answer. I should have known. My tastes do tend to be a little more "colorful" than hers. But how can I argue with someone who always looks fabulous and so put together. She does have a wonderful sense of style and fashion, even if different than mine.

So now I am in search of the perfect orange. I used an orange fabric, by Robert Kaufman - Designer Essentials, for the center square in each log cabin block.


But this is a long discontinued fabric and so I've had no luck finding any more. However, since the center square is so tiny, I guess it won't make a difference if I just get a fabric that is similar in color.

But of course I just can't accept any old orange fabric. It must have something interesting in it!

I've seen some potentials online, but I think I'm going to have to go shopping at a local shop to see the fabrics in person.

We have a break in workshops coming up next week so I'm planning a little shop hop of my own.

Susan Shie is here this week teaching a workshop. It is very interesting watch her use an airpen to do the writing on her diary quilts. Makes me want to run out and get one!

She brought a number of pieces of her work. Such incredible detail and texture.

It is a small class, so I thought that maybe I'd get a chance to sit in and watch. But the work of running an art workshop program, inn, and chocolate business is never ending. 14 hour days are the norm.

But it is all worth while when the people tell me what a great time they are having and the teachers say what a wonderful place is it to teach. That is my reward and what keeps me going.


No comments: